The first known written record of Cosby (Cossebi) appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it is recorded that 40 families lived in the village.
It may be possible that Cosby was a settlement here in Saxon or even Roman times given that the Fosse Way bounds the parish to the north. Although no buildings survive from these early periods in Cosby’s history, there are a number of historic buildings still standing in the village.
The oldest is the 14th century Parish Church right next to the Tithe Barn, built in the English Perpendicular style. The second oldest building, in which The Tithe Barn is situated, dates from the middle of the 15th century.
Close to the church is the early 17th century house known as Brooks Edge. This is the historic home of the Armston family who lived in the village for more than 800 years.
Another early 17th century building, situated near the north end of the Nook, is Cosby House. Adjacent to this is a large late 15th century timber-framed barn. Originally the barn would have been similar to The Tithe Barn with a thatched roof and the walls infilled with wattle and daub.
The revolution in farming resulted in Cosby becoming a more industrial village with framework knitting followed by boot and shoe manufacture dominating the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Today the village has a population of around 3750 and is a thriving community with a growing interest in its heritage and historic roots.
A tithe barn was a type of barn used in much of northern Europe in the Middle Ages for storing rents and tithes — one tenth of a farm’s produce which was given to the Church. Tithe barns were usually associated with the village church or rectory and independent farmers took their tithes there. The village priests would not have to pay tithes—the purpose of the tithe being their support—and some had their own farms anyway, which are now village greens in some villages.
This Tithe Barn, a grade II listed building dates back to the early 15th Century circa 1450, where it was once used as one of the many granaries within the Leicester Abbey parish.
Up to the 20th Century Tithe Barn formed part of Church Farm, which was one of the many village centre farms. Cosby was a very rural village into the 1960’s and changes in industry brought with it evolution to agriculture. Church Farm was acquired and part demolished to form the base for the haulage company HW Coates Ltd.
Whilst many buildings were demolished and lost forever, Tithe Barn remained standing, but derelict. In the late 1980’s, it was fully restored and refurbished to form commercial offices.
Latterly, the haulage yard was redeveloped with modern luxury homes and the Tithe Barn aquired by Marriott Group Ltd, bringing an important quality heritage building in to public use.
We pride ourselves in supporting the local economy by offering locally sourced, hand selected produce and foods. It offers an enhancement to the village centre within a conservation area by offering a place for people to meet, eat and socialise.